Code of Conduct
Swing Out New Hampshire (SONH) is dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable environment for everyone, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, body size, race, and/or religion (or lack thereof). Harassment consists of offensive verbal comments, including those related to the above; sexual images in public spaces; deliberate intimidation; stalking; following; unwanted photography or recording; sustained disruption of workshops or other events; inappropriate physical contact; unwelcome sexual attention; and advocating for or encouraging any unacceptable behavior. Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated at any event venue, including dances, workshops, competitions, Twitter, Facebook, and other online media.
We love the laidback attitude and the freedom that being at SONH affords our campers. Please be respectful of camp facilities and policies. Practice good floorcraft and classroom etiquette; do not offer unsolicited advice to fellow dancers either in class or on the social dance floor out of respect for their learning environment. Any behaviors, speech, or actions that make our campers feel uncomfortable, threatened, or harassed will not be tolerated.
We expect participants to follow these rules at all times during camp. Anyone (participants, staff, organizers) asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. We reserve the right to take any action we deem necessary to deal with harassment. This includes, but is not limited to: verbal warnings, asking people to leave the event immediately without refund, banning individual(s) from all future SONH events, and contacting law enforcement officials.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a SONH organizer or one of our volunteers immediately. Your well-being and privacy are of utmost importance to us.
STEPS TO REPORTING:
Contact SONH and file an incident report.
You can contact us by:
- Going to the Main Office and asking to speak in private with a staff member at the Front Desk during office hours
- Asking any organizer or volunteer for help
- Calling numbers listed in your camper info booklet
- E-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Important information that will be helpful in your report consists of:
- Identifying information (name/level) of the participant doing the harassing
- The behavior that was in violation
- The approximate time of the behavior (if different than the time the report was made)
- The circumstances surrounding the incident
- Other people involved in the incident
We will be taking any and all reports, no matter the size or severity, very seriously and with complete confidentiality. The staff is well-informed on how to deal with incidents and how to further proceed with the situation.
- Upon receipt of a complaint, a staff member or volunteer will direct the reporter to a designated staff member.
- A written incident report will be created and stored in a secure location.
- Staff will communicate with the alleged harasser to determine both sides of the story within half a day. Confidentiality of all parties will be respected.
- If necessary, i.e. the designated person is unable or does not think it is appropriate to make a decision on their own, a small group of staff will convene to discuss consequences and actions to be taken.
- Sanctions will be proportional to the degree of severity and impact of the problem.
- We will communicate our response to all parties involved separately.
Depending on each individual situation, the following are possible responses that staff will take:
- warning the harasser to cease their behaviour and that any further reports will result in sanctions
- requiring that the harasser avoid any interaction with, and physical proximity to, their victim for the remainder of the event
- ending a class that violates the policy early
- not allowing an instructor who violated the policy to give further classes at the event
- immediately ending any event volunteer responsibilities and privileges the harasser holds
- requiring that the harasser immediately leave the event and not return without refund
- banning the harasser from future events (either indefinitely or for a certain time period)
This list is not exclusive and each issue will be dealt with on an independent basis. Our goal is to assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the camp. We value your attendance.